Surgical science and practice
Flexible postgraduate courses developing leadership skills for surgeons and other healthcare professionals
In partnership with the Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences
The MSc in Surgical Science and Practice is designed to prepare senior surgical trainees for life as independent specialists by providing key skills and knowledge essential for modern professional practice, which are not fully represented within most postgraduate training. We cover management skills, quality improvement, leadership, teamwork and patient safety, the principles of medical education and clinical research methods.
The Postgraduate Certificate in Patient Safety aims to provide an understanding of the basic science behind quality improvement methods and a professional level of understanding of the techniques for implementing, sustaining and measuring systems change, and for exploring and evaluating the effect of different approaches to improving safety in healthcare. It is especially suitable for people who are preparing for careers in higher levels of nursing, medical and general management with a specific interest in patient safety.
Both of these programmes are modular, and individuals may apply to take any module separately for professional training and for transferable academic credit.
- Flexible programme - study while working
- One-week modules in Oxford followed by a written assignment
- Supported by an online resources portal with web access to Oxford’s libraries
- Taught by leading experts – Course Director Mr Ben Turney (Nuffield Department of Surgical Sciences), and Associate Course Director Richard Canter (Visiting Professor of Surgical Education, University of Oxford).
"The MSc in Surgical Science and Practice covers critical aspects of the training of surgical specialists based on competentices. The teachers make you think out of the 'doctor's box - you are not just becoming a medical specialist, you will also be involved in research, quality improvement, teamwork, organisation, management and education."
Gabie de Jong, Surgical Registrar, The Netherlands
Subscribe to our Surgical Science and Practice mailing list to receive updates about our courses.
- Mon 13 Mar 2023 – 17 Mar 2023
- Mon 08 May 2023 – 12 May 2023
- Mon 09 May 2022 – 13 May 2022
- Mon 10 Oct 2022 – 14 Oct 2022
- Mon 07 Nov 2022 – 11 Nov 2022
Surgical science and practice courses
+44 (0)1865 286933