The Effective Online Tutoring course provides a comprehensive introduction to teaching online – in this eight-week tutored online course you will learn how to use a range of tools and strategies to effectively manage, moderate, and support adult learners to study online.
This course is for teachers and academics looking to develop their skills for teaching online courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
The course is also suitable for individuals looking to deliver online training, and organisations involved in Continuing Professional Development who wish to improve the effectiveness of their online and distance learning courses.
Some previous experience of teaching and supporting learning would be beneficial, but is not essential.
Topics covered include:
- Understanding the needs and specificities of online learners
- Exploring the multiple roles of the online tutor
- Managing effective communication synchronously and asynchronously
- Pedagogical approaches and tools to engage your learners
- Fostering an inclusive community of learners
- Practical tips to deal with challenges
- Your own ongoing professional development
Focused specifically on teaching, rather than on designing or developing online courses, this course will introduce you to the role of the online tutor through selected case studies, reading, group discussions, and other activities.
The programme is tutor-led, providing you with expert advice, support and guidance.
The course is practical, focussing on your own context and drawing upon the Department for Continuing Education’s experience of delivering high quality online learning.
Learning by doing is a key concept of this course. You will:
- have lots of opportunities to try out new skills and techniques and share your experience with other professionals from a range of contexts;
- give and receive feedback on work, with an emphasis on collaboration and learning together online;
- work on your own online course, planning your interventions and considering key issues such as appropriate support for online students.
The study time of the course is 35-56 hours to study the core content (approximately 5-8 hours per week) plus any additional time for completing assignments and further reading. You will work at your own pace on asynchronous activities on a weekly basis, and meet as a cohort in synchronous live sessions every other week.